Thursday, January 29, 2009

Never bought his own clothes!

Mohan Singh, Samajwadi party MP, Uttar pradesh

He does not recall when he had bought his last pair of pyjama and kurta… "in every public function I attend, people give me at least one pair, so I do not need to buy any own my own", says the Uttar Pradesh MP. As for the rest, once in a while his Mohan Singh, Samajwadi party MP, Uttar pradeshfather-in-law gets him clothes stitched by tailors…. He has been like that ever since I got ot know him. For instance, last June, on a scorching afternoon, I saw a familiar face on Delhi’s Raisina Road, very near Parliament House. When I looked closely, yes, it was him, Mohan Singh, the samajwadi Party Member of Parliament....

So I asked him: “Mohan Bhai, where are you off to in this heat?” “Home,” he said plainly. “It is so near to the Parliament that every day I go walking back home after the House closes.” He does have a vehicle though, belonging to his son-in-law, but “why do I need to use it?” When seldom he needs to attend seminars in Five-Star hotels, he uses that car, he admits. Then he smiles and jokes: “After all, they stay with me and save their rent, so they might as well do this small favour to old Papa!”

As for relationship with his old father, the river runs upstream! It is his father who sends him essentials from the village, and even puts in Rs 20,000 each election year. Like Bachi Singh Rawat, Mohan Singh spends roughly Rs 20,000 of his salary on himself and family, the rest being spent on medicines, other help and travel expenses for people coming to see him from his constituency. If sometime his relatives pester him for a dinner at a Five Star, he refuses…...Continue

No comments: