Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The finest in its size - Sri Lanka

After leaving many stones unturned, I had to move to my next stop, Hikkaduwa. It was the first area to be developed for tourism and is still one of the most popular beach resorts. The exotic coral reef running parallel to the shore and sub-tropical fish can be explored with scuba equipment and licensed instructors. Little further down the coast is the dwelling place for a wave of international surfers who often greet you while surfing with schools of dolphins and occasional whales.

The next day, my excitement levels were hitting the ceiling, as I had to go for Ballooning. Though it was my last day but I was convinced that it’ll certainly not be the least in terms of fun I was having in Ceylon.

Adventure Centre Asia is the leading balloon operator in the island and offers the most spectacular aerial view of the cultural sites like Polonnaruwa, Sirigiriya, Dambulla and Yala wildlife national park. This exhilarating experience allows one to witness the wildlife in their natural habitat without violating their privacy, fly over placid lakes and get a bird’s eye view of historical ruins without tampering with the landscape. They call this “soft tourism”.

As we began our descent, my heart felt heavy, my stay in the land of many names (Ceylon, Lanka, Tapobrane or Serendib) was better than I could imagine but now over. As I boarded my return flight, the charming airhostess asked, “So how was your stay?” staring through her and reminiscing, I replied, “just serendipitous!.”....Continue

No comments: