Thursday, October 04, 2007

Shrinking edens drive a wedge between man and his fellow primates

Eight months later, it was time to release Gismo into a wild troop. For the first time, I was exposed to the complex social life of wild baboons as they accepted me as mother of the newcomer. I watched how male aggression, provoked by the presence of men, changes the behaviour of the troop, showing the observer a particular facet of behaviour that tends to dominate the whole. How did this effect the conclusions drawn by male primatologists, and which primate studies were necessary to gain a full impression of primate behaviour? I decided to read both, and along with all that the baboons taught, draw my own conclusions.

With enormous generosity of spirit, Gismo’s new baboon friends directed the release process, aware of our reasons for being there. A crash course in baboon language was necessary to the success of the release; I read the clues each individual offered while forming a relationship with my foster child. What they showed about the inner nature of wild primates changed my life; it was the start of a long process where I imperceptibly touched a lost part of the self – a part lost through civilisation and our self imposed separation from the rest of Nature.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article
Source: IIPM Editorial, 2007
An IIPM and Management Guru Prof. Arindam Chaudhuri's Initiative

No comments: